Yesterday I had the honor of taking the lovely Cheryl from a bright blonde to a rich chocolate brunette to kick off the Fall season. I had an absolute blast with Cheryl.. She was so bold and adventurous with her decision! Seasons change, so does hair color!
Blondes going darker do have a tendency to fade a little faster after the initial color so I have 3 tips for success!
1. Pledge to shampooing every 2-3 days!
This will not only protect your color from fading, but also prevent excessive heat damage. If you have an oily scalp, invest in some dry shampoo to help get the extra day between shampoos. Bumble & Bumble makes a dry shampoo with brown pigment so you don’t end up with gray/white roots! It is available at Studio 8!
2. Invest in professional product. Drugstore brands are not pH balanced which can leave your cuticle wide open after shampooing, susceptible to color loss and heat damage. Go even further and buy shampoo/conditioner with pigment in it to use once a week to revive your color!
I love Bumble & Bumble Color Support, available in a warm formula or cool formula.
3. Schedule a follow up visit 4 weeks after your color to refresh your rich chocolate with a color glaze & blowout!
2011 is not just a new year, but a new decade. So whether you decide to go for a new cut, longer length via extensions, or color; its all about changing it up for Fall 2011. I am personally going even longer with my extensions and a more subtle lighter ombre!
Top Hue Predictions:
1. Red is huge this season.. definitely more of the
red-red/orange family. Keep it more natural looking with a few piecey highlights around the face and the ends tipped out a little lighter. Red takes a little longer to get to maintain vibrancy so be patient and schedule touch-ups every 4-6 weeks. Also invest in a color safe shampoo & conditioner. Davines makes a wonderful red one formulated with red pigment that deposits every time you shampoo! Available at Studio 8.
2. Ombre is still going strong, but
we will see it a bit toned down this Fall with the diffusion or graduation of color closer to the midshaft than to the ends. This is my personal favorite way for a client to experiment with going darker or lighter because it is a change that is not overwhelming or cause too much maintenance.
Since the color “melting” technique requires lightening on the ends, it is always best to use a mild shampoo paired with a moisturizing conditioner. A great recommendation is the Bumble & Bumble Gentle shampoo paired with Super Rich Conditioner, both available at Studio 8.
3. Stay Cool this fall with bold cooler colors. Although red is a top trend for all-over color, the lowlights and brunettes this season will be showing off beige, copper, mahogany, chocolate and rich pearl tones.
Maintain the cool tone of your color by using a purple shampoo & conditioner once a week or every 2 weeks as needed. Be sure to leave the shampoo on for a good 3 minutes and follow-up with a purple conditioner for another 3 minutes. I recommend the Shimmer Lights purple shampoo available at Sally’s and the Bumble & Bumble purple conditioner at Studio 8 for best results.
Most Requested Cut: Shoulder length “Aniston Bob”
OR Longer locks via So.Cap. Extensions:
Favorite way to pull your long hair up: Top Knot & Messy Bun
All this research has gotten me jazzed about the upcoming season and trends! Can’t wait to consult with all my lovely clients and see how we can change up their look!