Happy Friday! I still receive so many questions from my clients and friends on how to curl your hair to achieve the loose, beachy waves. There are many tactics out there, but I filmed a basic video demonstrating how to hold the iron, how much hair to grab, etc.. In this demo, I am wrapping the hair around the iron pointed downwards instead of using the spring.
- use a 1” ceramic iron. Hot Tools makes a great one with temperature adjustment available at Sally’s for approximately $30.
- always start with some sort of heat protection product like Moroccan Oil or Davines Melu spray. For extra hold, a working spray like Bumble & Bumble Does It All is excellent.
- always start wrapping at the top of the hair strand going away from the face and work it down
- allow your curls to cool down before running your fingers or a brush through them so they hold throughout the day. Do run your fingers through the cooled curls to keep them soft and beachy instead of tight, “Shirley Temple” curls :)
- adjust the temperature of your iron and size of the section of hair based on the thickness of your hair. For thin, fine hair take larger sections and keep the temp around 350-400. For thick, coarse hair take smaller sections and keep the temp around 425. See what works best for your hair, but it is always better to play it safe with a lower temp setting.
- finish your style with a great hairspray for hold. My favorite is Davines No 7 Crystal Fixative, available at Studio 8
Please forgive the video quality! Working on more professional videos to come :)